Tag Archives: hand embroidery

Pretty Pillow!!!

I continue to have fun with embroidery!!!  It’s something that I can work on for a bit, put down and then pick up again and work some more.  I’ve really enjoyed stitching so many different stitches.  Figuring out which stitches to place where was quite the challenge!  I don’t consider myself an embroidery expert, but I continue to learn and improve with every project!!!

My latest project has been a pillow.  This pillow has colors that will work in my living room, bedroom or outside porch (it’s covered and protected).  I don’t think it will end up on the porch because it’s too special for that casual atmosphere.

When I talked to our youngest daughter about making an embroidered pillow, she quickly pointed me to Anthropology, Pier 1 Imports and World Market – all of which have cute embroidered pillows that are just a little more trendy and stylish.  I loved the idea!  So, that’s what I went with.

Choosing a word to stitch proved to be a little more of a challenge – I wanted it to say something that resonated with me and not phrases that would go out of vogue in a few years (you know, “Farmhouse”, etc. – I don’t live in a farmhouse!).

I ended up with BLESSED – because I am reminded each and every day how blessed I am!!!

I was able to find the perfect trim at Hobby Lobby.  Thank goodness!!!  We’re living in a fabric store desert here with only HL and JoAnn’s.  I chose a simple rope design with all the right colors.  I felt that tassels, hanging bobbles and such would take away from the embroidery.

I used some beautiful Ulster linen but machine washed and dried it first to give it a lived-in look.  This was a plus for many reasons.  Now the pillow cover can be washed if needed.  It also allowed me to use wash away markers on the fabric – a definitely bonus.  And it softened up the fabric, making it easier to embroider.

I have to thank my sewing friends – Angela and Margaret – both of whom helped me when I ran into construction problems with the cording.  The cording was so stiff that I had real problems getting it attached properly.  Angela had great advice, pointed me to a great tutorial on finishing the ends of the cording and let me know what type of foot and machine would work best for the sewing.  Margaret  had the right equipment and was local and willing to help me out.  I’m blessed to have such wonderful sewing friends both far and near!!!  Aren’t sewing friends the best!!!

I’m busy writing up the instructions for all of the embroidery and sewing of this pillow and hope that it will be a class that students will enjoy taking!

I’m not sure what I’ll be stitching next.  I’ll ponder that over the weekend.  I hope everyone has a lovely weekend!!!

Adorable Boy Diaper Sets!

I’ve been absent for too long.  What have I been up to, you might ask.  I’ve been pattern drafting and testing. I’ve finally finished up the diaper set pattern for infants and included NB – 12 mo. sizes in the pattern.  I have at least one request per month for my preemie pattern in larger sizes, so now it is done!  Whew!  That was some work.  Of course, before I would consider listing the pattern, I had to make it up in each size.  I now have several sweet sets that I can save for future grandkids or use for baby gifts.  I love how each one turned out!

I love red, white and blue – especially for little boys!  I worked on the shadow work anchor embroidery while we drove to the mountains on Sunday to visit the inlaws and spend Mother’s Day with my MIL.  The 2 hour drive was ample time to get the embroidery finished.  However,  I don’t recommend shadow work embroidery in the car!  LOL!  It was quite the challenge to get that needle back into the same hole while riding in a car.  However, it did turn out cute!

I

Another set was made in green seersucker and I had to include the frog embroidery on this set!  One of our SAGA guild members had embroidered these frogs on a Wee Care outfit and I loved them, so I did them on the diaper set.  If you’re interested in the design, it comes from the A – Z Bullion embroidery.

Then I did another outfit with the tiniest bit of embroidery.  I appliquéd the boat with a blanket stitch and then added just a little hand embroidery to finish up the boat.

After 3 boy outfits, I decided to make a fun little girl outfit instead of the frilly lace one like I did for the preemie set, though the instructions are included for the frilly lace set in the pattern!

Obviously, I couldn’t exclude lace altogether!!!  I gathered up some flat lace and stitched it on using ribbon to cover up the raw edges of the lace.  I am quite happy with how it turned out.  Then I added piping and lace to the blouse.  The yellow flower buttons were such a great match to the fabric.

For the little girl blouse, I chose a fun bird to embroider.  After looking online for the perfect (in my opinion!) bird, I didn’t find exactly what I was looking for, so I took elements of different birds that I saw and drew my own.  It was fun to incorporate some different stitch combinations to make up this bird and I think it adds such a sweet touch to the blouse.  I did include the bird design in the pattern as well – it was too cute to leave out!

I think I’m going to have to have my tech support guy (aka: hubby!) check my photo set up – I’m not getting quite the right colors and seem to have some weird shading going on.  Maybe it’s because I’ve neglected the blog and haven’t done my photo editing lately.  😂😛  Now it is on to cleaning up the room and deciding on the next project.  I think it will have to be some summer outfits for the upcoming beach trip in June.  that will be here before long!

I hope you’re enjoying some fun, summer sewing!!!  If your sewing includes sweet babies, consider the diaper cover pattern this summer!  😊

Happy stitching!

Kathy