The past week and a half I’ve enjoyed plenty of time in the sewing room. I always enjoy sewing fun clothes, so it’s been relaxing. I had 2 partially completed “Annalise” tops that I’d used as demonstrations for different techniques when I taught that class earlier this year. I don’t think it took an hour to finish both of them. That’s a bonus!
After a bit of stash diving, I came up with the exact fabric that inspired the smocking design many years ago! I love when that happens! A pair of capri pants (Children’s Corner “Abbie) were cut and stitched to match that cute top, but with a ruffle instead of contrast band. The second top got a pair of shorts (Children’s Corner “Lettie). I can’t wait to see these on the little girls!
Both of the smocked sections were done many years ago when I sold a lot on Ebay. It was a great “find” to discover the already smocked pieces since that made the completion of the tops so much quicker, though smocking such a small section goes quickly anyway!
This is a picture of my Ebay outfit from back in the early 2000’s. I may have enough of the butterfly fabric to make one more outfit like this!
This smocking was also from my Ebay selling days. I am sure that I have a picture of that somewhere as well, but wasn’t able to find it quickly.
I also lengthened a bishop dress – this little ones keep growing so fast!!! It’s so nice to see them looking so cute in their smocked things, I don’t mind the re-hemming!
Because of my busy schedule this spring, I haven’t had a lot of time to sew special gowns for the Caleb Ministry, so I took several days and competed a few gowns, bonnets & embroidered matching blankets for them as well. I love sewing for this wonderful ministry, though I wish it wasn’t needed. The boxes that they provide for families suffering the loss of a child are really special. I consider it a privilege to sew for these precious babies.
This gown and bonnet were made to compliment the blanket with beautiful lace. Another volunteer made the blanket.
One of the other volunteers made this blanket also, so I made the gown to go with it. This one required a tiny gown. though you can’t tell from a picture, this gown is only about 6″ long and designed for a 1 – 2 lb. baby. I put just a touch of hand embroidery with tiny bullion flowers on this gown and on the blanket. We don’t make bonnets for these very tiny gowns.
There were many of these ecru blankets made with donated fabric. We only make white gowns and bonnets, so I added corded pintucks in ecru and added machine embroidery to make this set go together. I love this beautiful cross design from Fromtheneedleofanne. Her embroidery designs stitch out beautifully.
This is another gown featuring corded pintucks and a cross design. I don’t remember where this design came from.
This last gown is another tiny one. Another talented member knit these precious booties, bonnet and blanket, so I made just the gown to go with them. I used pink ribbon down the center of the lace strip, though it’s hard to see in the picture.
CI count children and grandchildren as my most precious treasures here on earth. My thoughts and prayers are with all those families that have suffered loss this Mother’s day. I know that it is a particularly difficult day for anyone that has lost a child. Don’t forget about these women this Mother’s day and say a prayer for them. God cares for them. Psalm 56:8 – You have…put my tears in a bottle.
I still have a few more UFO’s that need to be finished up for the little ones and several more things that I’d like to make for them. Until next time, keep on stitching!!!