I’m still busy stitching up a storm and enjoying every minute of it! I have just finished dresses for Eva and Livvy and made matching doll dresses. I know that they will love these!
I had this corduroy in my stash and all of the little girls have pointed it out and said that they loved it. 😊 I think it is the bright colors that they love. I had a pink corduroy that also matched, so I chose the Children’s Corner “Rose” pattern. It went together quickly and easily! I chose to line the sleeves because I preferred a more finished inside to the sleeve. Aside from that, I made it exactly as the pattern indicated.
Of course, the yoke needed a monogram! I chose the Fancy 1 Monogram set from Embroitique. I have always had beautiful stitch outs from any of the designs purchased from Embroitique!
For the matching doll dresses, I went to my Genniewren patterns and chose the Jessica pattern. Genine’s patterns always go together so well and fit nicely. I did make a few changes to the pattern. For easier dressing (aka: mom doesn’t need to help!), I changed the back so that it opened all the way down the back. That is also how the girl dresses are made, so it also makes them more match-y. LOL!
The Jessica dress has a puffed sleeve with a cuff, and I wanted to make it straight, just like the girl dresses. To accomplish this, I folded out a little of the fullness in the sleeve and straightened out the lower edge. While this isn’t pattern drafting at its best, it was an easy way to do it. It’s a doll dress after all. I was going for a quick fix, not perfect drafting. To do this, I made 3 small folds in the sleeve – each being slightly less than 1/4″ – and then drew a straight line along the sleeve bottom.
It worked well enough for me. This eliminated all the gathers in the sleeve, but leaves gathers in the dress front and back.
I like to close the doll dresses with snaps, and I always use the snaps from Snapsource. The tool works well and I’ve never had an issue with the snaps coming out. It is an easy tool to use and I highly recommend it.
I didn’t have enough of my corduroy fabric to make Ella a matching dress, so hers will be a coordinating dress instead. That will work well – then Eva won’t have to wear the same dress again in a couple of years, though I’m sure she wouldn’t mind.
After completing these cute dresses, I did a quick sew and stitch on Sunday of another sweet Wee Care dress. This dress was featured in the SAGA news in 2001 and again in later issues. I’ve been told that they are working on republishing the pattern for the Wee Care issue next year, so if you don’t have the earlier issues of SAGA news, you can wait until next year and then you’ll be able to stitch it as well.
That’s it for now. I’ll be working on Ella’s dress as well as some Christmas sewing next!!!