So, the wedding is less than 2 weeks away and we’re in the last days of all the little details to attend to. Although we’re so excited about the upcoming wedding, there’s always stress involved. My plan is to add nothing to my calendar for this week and next week and to enjoy some relaxing sewing time as time permits. This is relaxing and enjoyable to me when it doesn’t involve drafting/sewing for new classes or magazine articles. LOL! I started this process on Saturday and had a delightful weekend!
My first nearly finished project only needed a couple of rows of smocking and some buttonholes and buttons to be sewn on. I enjoyed finishing the little dress and look forward to trying a different method of using a contrast fabric at the top of the bishop. I believe that each method will have benefits as well as challenges. I am OK with this method, but think the there may be a better option. After I try a couple of others, I’ll be back to report and share my findings.
I used the apple design that I did for the Classic Sewing magazine‘s fall 2016 issue and eliminated the color changes and added a chain stitch around the outside to mimic the apples in the fabric. I graphed the bird to match the fabric. What a funny little bird! I also backstitched the smocking area with a 4 step trellis stitch and like the wavy effect that it gives.
As always, I used my practical 2 button back closure. I find that this method actually stays closed while the dress is being worn. 😜 That’s always a plus with active toddlers!
With the bishop dress completed, I moved on to the next nearly finished project. As I have moved clothing around in the bedroom closets and rearranged space after our daughter moved out, I found several projects that needed only a little attention to be finished. One project was a sample “Suzette” dresses that was made when I designed the dress. I made 5 samples – the blue dress was one of them. I recently taught this dress and it’s one of my favorites with the simple lines and smocked sleeves. This dress only needed a hem and a button and button loop on the back.
I machine stitched the hem in the dress and then added the featherstitching. I can say that I’m not totally thrilled with my featherstitching at the hem! On the bodice I use a grid to get the stitch uniform. For the hem, I decided to try it without a grid. Oh my!!! Wrong choice. However, I’m giving myself some grace and recognize that nobody will be down at hem level inspecting this dress, so as Elsa says “let it go”. That’s exactly what I’m doing!
I do love this dress and will love seeing both this one and the bird/apple dress on the little girls.
Today I’ll dive back into the closets and see what else can be finished easily and hopefully enjoy some fun stitching time between the wedding errands and such.
I hope you’re enjoying some spring sewing! Our weather has warmed up and I think spring is here to stay! Soon it will be time to start the summer sewing!!!
Keep on stitching……