This is my busy month of travel. Two weeks ago I was in Houston teaching for the Midnight Oil smocker’s guild and had a wonderful time with that group of ladies! They did a fabulous job working on their techniques and dresses and I’ve seen a couple of pictures of the finished dress already. No grass is growing under their feet! This is the dress that they were making:
I’m heading out today to teach in Virginia for the Seaside Smockers guild. I’m looking forward to a good workshop with them. We will be doing the Annalise top and some picture smocking.
With my busy schedule, I haven’t had a lot of sewing time. So, between classes I decided to do a bit of my charity sewing for the tiniest of babies. I made several sets of the Teeny Tears diapers to go with the Wee Care gowns that our SAGA guild makes. These were already cut out, so it was just a matter of sewing them.
Next up was a sweet little gown made for an under 1 lb. baby. A set of diapers was made to match this gown as well.
The last project was for the Caleb Ministry and features some pretty, pin-stitched lace details.
In addition to sewing, I have been hard at work learning how to draw on the computer. Several years ago I learned (with the help of Claire Meldrum) how to graph smocking designs on the computer. It took several years along with many tears and frustration, but I finally “got” it. I’m definitely NOT a computer person.
My goal at the beginning of last year was to become more proficient in Adobe Illustrator so that I could diagram stitches and techniques in my class notes. I worked hard at it and have been able to do many of the stitches and diagrams, though not all. So, these last couple weeks I’ve been working at learning some of the different “tools” available in the software. I have really enjoyed the process and have learned more in the last couple weeks that I believe will make my drawings even better.
My first drawings were for a new correspondence class that I have been working on. It is a French machine sewn bonnet, so involved drawing many illustrations of lace joining, which I’ve done before. I expanded the illustrations and when the bonnet was finished, I drew a picture on the computer as well as took a photograph. I’m quite pleased with the results.
The computer drawing of the bonnet:
I still can’t draw gathered lace very well, but that will improve with practice. LOL!
Taking the drawing even further, and with the new brush tools I’ve learned, I have drawn a bishop dress. I’m really happy with the results and think that they look very much like a charcoal sketch.
So, that’s what I’ve been up to! Hopefully when I return I will be able to sew a bit more! I hope that sewing is on your summer schedule!
Keep on stitching…..