After all the preemie clothes, it was time for some different sewing. I had big plans, however, as often happened, plans change.
Last week, in preparation for a class, I needed to retrieve a previously made outfit with a specific picture smocking design . I was thrilled that I had a sample already made!!! I only needed to retrieve it from the closet of clothes that the granddaughter’s have outgrown. Easy, right?
Of course, after looking it over, it needed a serious pressing, so I chose to wash it and press it. I threw it in the wash with a load of whites – good choice since it was pastel pink. However, also in the wash was an ORANGE top! Yikes!!! You know where this is going – and it’s not a good place! The ONLY thing in the wash that took on some of the orange dye was the romper!!!
No amount of soaking, stain remover or anything else made a bit of difference, so the decision was made to remove the smocked insert, which suffered no damage, and put it into another garment. So the un-stitching began….
With the insert removed, it was time to find a pattern with the same chest width as the insert – that would be easiest. I found that the Children’s Corner “Elliott” pattern (out of print) was perfect across the chest, and the armhole curve matched as well. Score! But, I wanted a dress, so some modifications were needed. Easy. I’ve done that many times before.
The sewing began. However, when all that was left to sew was the facings, I realized that things were amiss. Ugh!
More un-sewing, and then I walked away for the evening. Finally, I fixed the problem and finished the dress. It’s cute, but it sure has been a problem right from the get go!
I love the yellow rick rack with the gingham. I did “see” that I ended up cutting off more of one side of the insert armhole curve than the other, but it’s going to stay that way! LOL! No more un-sewing of this dress!!!
I know we’ve all had days like this, so I know that there’s at least one person out there that can relate to my sewing woes.