Monthly Archives: October 2018

Pattern Winner and Projects

I’m sorry for the delay in posting the winner of the Vida pattern.  I wanted to wait until I had more sewing projects to share, and that has taken some time.  Our pattern winner is Denise!!!  Congratulations Denise – I hope you’ll enjoy making some of these Vida dresses for the special little girls in your life!

I’ve been busy sewing more Christmas things for the kids.  I have 2 more Disney outfits finished for Livvy and Liam.

For Livvy, I made the Children’s Corner “Callie” pattern, but shortened it to be a top rather than a dress.  I’m pretty sure that this pattern has been discontinued, though you may still be able to find it at some of the heirloom shops.  I loved the princess carriage embroidery design and I’m sure that she will as well.  Every princess needs a knight in shining armor, so that’s what Liam is getting.  I’m sure that he will enjoy the fierce knight!

 

 

I also managed to finish up some of my Sweet Cheeks diaper covers.  The pattern is available in my Etsy shop.  These were complete, only lacking the ribbons.  I don’t love those tedious little hand sewing jobs, so after months of sitting on my sewing table to be finished, I finally have them done!

These 2 are the tiniest sizes, appropriate for preemies or Bitty Baby size dolls.

I do like adding the gingham bias for the leg casings!  That little bit of color is so sweet!

The next diaper cover is the largest size – a 24 mo.  I was thrilled to have the perfect 2-color ribbon in my stash that I could use for the bows.  I think they really set the diaper set off beautifully!!!

In addition to that sewing, I’ve been working on class material for the Make Welcome Sewing School.  I have taken on the challenge of creating small projects and then writing up the instructions so that the could be followed by anyone – even those with limited or no ability to read English.  I hope to have someone test them and let me know if I’m on track with these.  The students will make this up in class, so the instructions are so that they can make them again when they get home if they want.  Here’s what part of a page looks like:

Writing instructions such as these take time to get written and illustrated properly.  I am enjoying the challenge and hope that many of the ladies will benefit from them.  I have stitched several projects, but have only written up 2 class instructions so far.  I’ll continue working on those as time permits.  Some of the projects need to be tweaked to make them easier to sew, such as this table runner.

The next runner will just be a simple pieced rectangle.  I think that will be easier for the beginners to turn those corners rather than have these odd angles to work with.

At the end of our class last week, we had a woman come in with a suggestion to make a simple apron that could be used for post-mastectomy patients to hold their drainage apparatus.  She told us how helpful it was to have the apron.  She gave us the one that she had, which was falling apart, and I took it home and made up an apron and have since written up instructions.  These should be easy for our ladies to stitch up.  This is a great way to use up small pieces of fabric and trims and it’s fun to decorate them as well.  I am sure that there will be lots of creative decorating once we get the ladies sewing these!  I should have used a darker thread to stitch out my “hope” word. In person it’s easier to read, but it certainly doesn’t show up well in my picture.

As you can see, I’ve been busy sewing!!!  I’ve also been busy working on new patterns/classes.  Now, what will be next?

Kathy

More Vida Dresses for Christmas!

I’ve been lazy about taking pictures lately.  These dresses were completed a few weeks ago when I was supposed to be enjoying a sewing retreat at the beach.  Well, I’ve finally added the appliqués to the dress, so thought that they deserved some decent pictures.

I’m pretty sure that the girls will love the dresses since they are bright colors.  I’m thrilled that I had the co-ordinating prints for the dresses!  These are the Vida dress pattern from Farbenmix.  Unfortunately, the pattern is out of print.  However, I’ve managed to snag an extra copy on the second hand market and I’ve decided that I’ll do a drawing for it!  Anyone that comments on my blog will be entered in the drawing for the pattern.  I will choose from the names on Monday, October 15th at 9am EST.  So, if this is a pattern that you’ve bee searching for, please leave a comment!

I wish I could remember whose embroidery file I used for the flower, but alas, it was weeks ago and has left my memory.  I’m sure that it would be easy to find something similar online. The monogram font is from Embroitique.

One of the things I enjoy the most about making these Vida dresses is choosing the fabrics and trims that I want to use.  These colors were a challenge!  I did manage to find some soutache in good colors for this dress, so I wove 3 different colors together to create a braid.

For the pink dress, I actually had some of the trims that were designed to go with the fabric, so they match perfectly!  I’m happy about that.

Now, if I can finish up a few more things and get them photographed, I’ll be able to post more ideas!

These are Christmas gifts for 2 of the granddaughters.  I hope you’re getting some of your Christmas sewing finished!!!

Kathy