I’ve sadly neglected the blog for a few weeks. Time seems to be flying by this summer! I have managed to get a bit of sewing in and have enjoyed every bit of it.
Upon our return from Europe, I took some time the first week and did some charity sewing. I made more gowns for the Caleb ministry as well as several peasant dresses for the Dress A Girl Around The World. Of course, I couldn’t forget the gowns that I make for the SAGA Wee Care, so a couple of those were finished as well. Both are wonderful ministries and I consider it an honor and a blessing to support them. The peasant dresses are easy to construct as are the gowns for the tiny babies for Caleb ministry.
I neglected to take pictures of all the items, but I did manage to finish up my “stash” of blue floral, as you can see from the 3 dresses. LOL! I sewed 6 peasant dresses.
The Caleb ministry gave me a supply of heirloom laces to work with, which was right up my alley! While I wish these tiny gowns weren’t needed, it enjoy that I can make something special to make a difficult day a little easier for the parents.
The same sentiment is shared with the Wee Care gowns. I’m so glad that there are opportunities for these tiny babies to have some special gowns. These blue hem treatment on the first gown is a sweet way to add some color to the gown and decorate it without making it too girl-y. This is the second gown that I’ve used this Madeira treatment on and I’m sure I’ll use it again.
Then I thought it was time I finished up this dress. It’s been complete for weeks, only lacking the hem and buttons. Why do I not get this finished up as soon as the smocking is completed? Oy! The butterfly is a smocking design from Frances Messina Jones called “Flutter By“. She has the cutest picture smocking plates and I enjoyed smocking this one.
The fabric is a poly/cotton from Farmhouse Fabrics. I went there a year (maybe 2) ago and bought this fabric in blue, white and yellow since it’s so hard to find a quality poly/cotton fabric. I know that this dress will be especially enjoyed since no ironing is involved!
I kept the back design simple and quick. Ella wore this dress when they came over for Father’s Day dinner and it was adorable on her. Of course, with the gang all here, well, pictures didn’t happen. LOL! It was wild and busy, but with lots of fun for all.
Then I moved on to yet another UFO that has been aging in the stash for a few years – a wool jacket, Snug as a Bug, from a Gail Doane class. I hate to admit it, but I made many mistakes on this jacket due to the fact that I didn’t review the instructions prior to competing the embroidery. (showing my red face here!!!) Clearly, as a teacher, I should have known better. But, I wanted to get it finished prior to taking another class from her this week. Bad idea. After the embroidery was completed, I did review the sewing instruction and that’s when I discovered that my embroidery was different than the instructions. Oy! I did my best to fix the situation. It’s still a beautiful little jacket – it just doesn’t look exactly like the original kit was designed. LOL! I know better now and hopefully will not make this dumb mistake again. Mistakes and all, I still love the little jacket and know it will be worn!
I did try the jacket on the little girls when I watched them last week, but I had all 4 kids at the time and a good photo just wasn’t an option!!! Instead, I’ll share a picture of the 3 little girls on their trip to the aquarium in their whale dresses. You know I have to share my sweeties from time to time!
After the jacket was finished, I moved on and continued working on my next (hopefully) class to submit to SAGA. 🙂 I need to finish that up this week!
The last 2 days have been spent at our guild’s workshop with Gail Doane. As always, she is a wonderful teacher and I’d encourage anyone to take a class from her. You won’t be disappointed. We had many first time attendees at the workshop and they thoroughly enjoyed her classes.
Now, back to the real world of cleaning, cooking and sewing……